Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Lemon Sherbet and Dolly Blue - Lynn Knight

I caught this on Radio 4 early on August 3rd - I guess it was the mention of Chesterfield and in particular Whittington Moor which caught my ear. So, I ordered it.

It turns out Lynn Knight used to be an editor at Virago, too, and has written some women's history books

I think anyone would find the social and personal history interesting - Lynn concentrates on the three adopted children, her great-grandfather, Dick, her great-aunt Eva, and her own mother, Cora.  Around their tales, she includes a lot of local history.


For me, the book has a particular resonance, since my father's family lived in Chesterfield, and the Whittington area at that.  She talks about Pearson's Pottery, where my grandfather and uncle still worked when I was a child, and Shentall's grocer's - the yard was very close to Queen Street where my father and his brothers and sisters grew up.



No comments: